Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum

Welcome! We hope this forum will turn into a wonderful place to exchange information about our favorite companions - golden retrievers! If at any time you have questions regarding this forum please drop me an email at bward5@mac.com I will respond as quickly as I can. Enjoy!!! Bill

Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Personalities

It is fun to observe the personalities now with 3 and sometimes 4 Goldens in the house.

Belle: As a puppy stuck very close to us. Seemed to miss her litter. Did not venture way out into the yard, Cautious of the dark. Afraid of her own shadow. Still very velcro, will wander the acre with one eye on the door and us. Never barks.

Copper: Fairly independent outside, barks at the wind just to make a point, stays close when inside. No history on puppyhood.

Sophie: An adventurer. Never missed her litter, confident, snoopy. Wanders all over the acre, snoops out every inch. Goes out into the darkness, not afraid. A really independent little girl.

Any ideas on how Sophie will grow up? I thought Belle's need to be near us was learned from her surgeries and lack of mobility in her first year.. but maybe she's just not self confident and a bit of a chicken

They are so interesting to watch!

Re: Personalities

Pretty much all of our goldens have kept the same basic personality, but mellowed out by good experiences here. My daughter's Chloe tends to be a bit fearful and shy, but has blossomed lately, especially good while her Mom & Dad were gone this past week.

Spikey, on the other hand, is pretty direct and in everybody's face. He has calmed down, and was quite willing to be the last one to get the special treats tonight.

Foster Sophie, at age 1+, is very independent, athletic, and focused on retrieving. I don't know if we'll find out how she is in later life. It is, however, nice to have a long-term foster.

Regards,

PJ

Yes, although there is distinct golden temperament, the personalities can be different. I adopted Beau about 3 years ago -- he is about 13. A rescue. He is quite a character. Loves to bark. Happy go lucky kind of guy. A bit of a goof. If he were human he would be a beer drinking, football watching, flannel shirt wearing kind of guy.

I adopted Willie when he was about 15. He is at the bridge, but I had him a little over a year. I called him my Fred Astair. He would do a little dance for dinner. He was also kind of elegant. He would be a tux wearing kind of guy.

Sandy is at the bridge also. Had her from a puppy. She was a very happy dog and loved to play. She was ball obsessed. She was so fun loving. She amused herself by playing with braided ropes. She loved squeaky toys and would bounce her head on them and drive us crazy with the squeaking.

Faith and Sophie sound like they have similar personalities. I mentioned in a post below a time when I was walking her and a parked truck we passed backfired. I swear I went three feet up in the air and all Faith wanted to do was investigate the cause. She's very confident, checks out everything (and gets INTO everything), but she is still a velcro girl following me everywhere I go in the house...if she's not with me, I know she's gotten into something.

Fun topic!

Sandra

Abby had a personality test as a puppy . . . they predicted she would be wilful and independent . . . and that's exactly who she is.

Keeper has a pure soul . . . . even if she steals from you she'll bring her prize over to share . . .

Whenever I take a picture of the two of them together you get the same qualities coming out as you see below, the cool, calculating stare of Abby as she figures all the angles that might be in her best interests and the pure innocence and joy of life of Keeper . . .

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Re: Re: Personalities

Rick, Based on your description of their personalities, that's one photograph you didn't have to say who was on the left or right....that was easy to figure out.

Keeper looks just like my houseguest Juno....big innocent eyes....and Faith looks more like Abby. Faith has a combination of both their personalities....but I think she'll be more like Abby as she matures.

Sandra

Frasier definitely has his own personality. He isn't a "barker" by nature. A single little "woof" to come inside... and just one... unless you take too long, and then it is a little louder with a tone like, "Um, excuse me, I'm waiting." And don't miss the second bark because if you do, he is no longer interested in coming inside - he has found something else to do. He "talks" to me when I come home... the roo rooo roo stuff... He is very laid back... if he were human, I think he'd be a "surfer" with his own agenda and if a big wave is coming, he's there.