Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum

Welcome! We hope this forum will turn into a wonderful place to exchange information about our favorite companions - golden retrievers! If at any time you have questions regarding this forum please drop me an email at bward5@mac.com I will respond as quickly as I can. Enjoy!!! Bill

Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cold

Brr. Minus 48 with the windchill this morning. No leisurely walks today....

I just want to tell you a sweet story about a dog and a deer. Last year a lab retriever brought home a baby deer to his owners in a small town here in Saskatchewan. The mother must have been shot or something. Anyway, the family brought the baby up, and the deer (Buck) and dog (Vern) are great friends. This year, about 2 weeks ago, Vern and Buck went out to play, but at the end of the day only Buck the deer came back. Vern the dog was nowhere to be seen for a couple of days. It turns out Buck and Vern had gone down the road to a neighbour's farm and started playing with the dog there. Vern got a crush on the dog and decided to stay while Buck returned home (the deer even spends time inside their house). The farmer finally remembered the unusual story of the deer and the dog, and started asking around, eventually returning Vern the dog to his owners. It was so cute to see Buck and Vern when they were reunited! Buck wears a bright yellow collar to alert hunters to leave him alone. I guess he knows where his bread is buttered!!

Re: Cold

I've seen the weather highlights from where you are . . . looks lousy.

My brother-in-law drove from Calgary to just east of Saskatoon on Wednesday, unwisely as that was the height of the storm . . . . a normal seven hour drive took about 13 hours.

Hope hunters leave that deer alone . . . there are some fruit loops around.

In the first year in our country home, we had Freddie the deer hanging around. Freddie had part of one of his ears missing and a very distinctive dark marking on his face so you couldn't mistake him for another deer. He would curl up against the house in the shade on hot days, not particularly afraid of us at all.

He disappeared through the fall and then we got Abby . . . we never saw him again.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Re: Re: Cold

Your brother-in-law is lucky he is still alive. We had three people freeze to death here because of that storm.

As for wild deer, someday I hope to retire to a country home, where I can see lots of wildlife. Even here in Regina we have little rabbits who hang around the neighbourhood. My mother puts carrots out for one big guy and he always comes around.

Re: Re: Re: Cold

Carol sat up and waited for him to call . . . looked brutal there. We didn't get much snow at all, just the cold part.

It's warmer today . . . I'm going for a run along the river in a few hours.

Sit with Keeper for a while and watch the deer or elk go by . . . .

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Thank God for a goood ending!!!

Wow, Kathy, and I thought our -6 real temperature was nippy! Wonderful story about Vern and Buck...I love those interspecies interactions. Try to stay warm! Does your pup wear booties in those temps????

She has booties but we haven't used them yet. I would need to be out there walking with her, and I am afraid I prefer to be inside when it is like this. We will need to go out for a walk today as it has been 2 whole days. It is only -30 this morning, so, much better.

Brrrr!!! It was -5º F this morning here in Colorado when we got up. All 8 paws are in their Polar Paw booties, just to go out for a quick morning pee. They'll probobly be on all day today. We may get out for a short stroll later. Kathy is that -30º F or C ? Either way it is too cold to even contemplate. Stay warm........

It is -30 C. What does that translate into? I can't remember Fahrenheit (is that how it is spelled?. Anyway, not too cold out today. The last couple of days were something else.

Just an aside, my brother Gary who just died, was a drummer, and he adored jazz, and tomorrow they are having a jam session with his musician friends in Lumsden. This is totally non-dog related, but I wanted to brag and mourn at the same time. Sorry.

Sending sympathy

Kathy-

I am sending my sympathy to you on the death of your brother, but I am sure that his friends know how to remember him in an appropriate manner. I hope that you will go and have a good time.

Regards,

PJ

ps -30 Celsius would be -22 Fahrenheit. An interesting fact is that -40 Celsius is equal to -40 Fahrenheit (pretty cold in anyone's temperature log!)

Re: Sending sympathy

You are right. Thank God for animals, especially Mindy. This mourning business is for the birds.