Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum

Welcome! We hope this forum will turn into a wonderful place to exchange information about our favorite companions - golden retrievers! If at any time you have questions regarding this forum please drop me an email at bward5@mac.com I will respond as quickly as I can. Enjoy!!! Bill

Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sunday Social - Please add a sentence or two

Good morning!

Today's Topic:
Who is still reading this site? Please add a sentence or two to let us know you're still out there!

My two cents worth - After losing Trapper to hemangiosarcoma in May, Keevin was diagnosed with soft tissue sarcoma in his left front leg in June. It was quite extensive but showed no signs of having spread out of the leg. On July 2 he had his leg amputated. There were some complications after surgery and we weren't sure he would pull through, but after 6 days at the hospital, he is home and finally recovering well. We are getting used to the 'new normal' around here. I'm just thankful he is still here with me!

Have a Golden Day!
Debbie

Re: Sunday Social - Please add a sentence or two

Gail here (RB kids Rocky, Pebbles, Sonny, Muffin). Debbie, sorry to hear about Trapper, and hope Keevin continues to recover. Sounds like you've had your share of troubles.

I do check in here from time to time, been negligent about posting, but hope this community doesn't go away. I check FB as well, but miss this forum as it used to be.

We lost 15 yr old Muffin to age-related issues in April. It was obvious Kyra (8 yrs old) needed another companion, so in May we adopted Peter (8 yr old male) and Hope (2 yr old female), so it's been crazy but fun around here. They get along great and so far are healthy physically. Peter, apparently, lived in a cage/pen all his 8 yrs, so he is afraid to go outside into the world. He will go into the fenced yard to play and potty, but is reluctant to go for walks out the front door or into the car. So, we are slowly building his confidence. With the help of the other pups, we got him out to the mailbox the other day!!! Fortunately we found a great mobile vet who will come to the house.

Anyway, I'm still around and look forward to hearing from some other folks. Miss Bill's Sunday stroll.

Gail

Hi... to Debbie and all! Still here, doing a lot of music and quilting and a bit of fundraising and transporting for rescue goldens. Our Kirby and Zoe Lynne are both a bit over six years old and doing well.

Will try to stop in on Sunday more often! Miss you guys.
Carol

Debbie,

I check in here at least twice a week. I'm sorry about Keevin's leg but like you, I'm glad he's still with you and doing well. It seems like it doesn't bother dogs when they lose a limb as much as it bothers people. Dogs just keep on truckin with 3 legs. They don't care what anyone thinks. And you know I was very sorry about Trapper as well.

We had to take Butch to the emergency Vet at 3:00 a.m. Saturday morning. He was in a lot of pain and couldn't move very well. Panting heavily and he threw up 3 times. He was not good at all and I thought his life might be ending. The Vet checked his stomach and he wasn't bloated or in pain there but his lower back was hurting him a lot. The Vet gave him a shot of Methadone and another shot of something for nausea. He's back on Tramadol every 8 hours. We've been treating him with Tramadol off and on for his back and I was going to try Gabapentin before this happened. Butch can't take Rimadyl or anything in that class. He always throws that up. So, starting Gabapentin tonight. I was afraid of that medicine but Molly said Finn did good on it so I'm more willing to try it. If anyone else here has used it for their golden I would like to hear your experience. We will be getting blood tests done this week. Butch is walking normal again and eating good again. I know we're not out of the woods yet as far as something else going on. Just taking it a day at a time and praying a lot.

To Erica, it seems like Murphy was here for a very long time. He was so blessed to be with you and I remember Teller winning awards not too long after you got him. Losing one of these beautiful creatures is bad enough. Losing two close together, well I can't imagine the grief. My thoughts are with you. RIP Murhpy and Teller. You sure gave your momma a lot of joy in her life.

Gail, I'm sorry about your Muffin. Susan Marie is right, too many losses going on.

Vicki

I'm still here and check in a couple of times a week, although I get most of my news from the Facebook page. This group has had far too many losses and health concerns recently, with Molly losing her beloved Finn, Marcy's dog Daisy and Fidele's dog Cedar having health issues, in addition to Erica's and Debbie's losses.

My two terror tots are thriving, and I am happy to say that their behavior has improved greatly since I adopted them a year ago. We have been focusing on reducing their aggression toward other dogs and there has been considerable improvement. But my heart still aches for another golden. I travel a great deal for pleasure, so the timing isn't right to bring another dog into the family at this time. Julia is on her own now, so I no longer have a resident dog-sitter. And surprisingly, golden retrievers are quite rare in New Mexico, so when I'm ready to adopt, I will have to do a road trip.

Kim here (RB kids Michelob, Genesee, Spring and Stormy). I check in here and on Facebook but do not post much. My heart aches each and every time someone loses one of their beloved family members and I rejoice when the ones who have been struggling recover and do better.

We still have Buddy, 12 years old. He had recent health issues with protein in urine, high creatinine and high blood pressure. It is finally under control with medicine and food but he really never showed signs of being sick. It was just discovered at his yearly check up. Our house has been pretty quiet since losing Stormy in January. We have rarely had only one golden in our 30 years of married life. So we are starting to look at getting another golden.

This golden family means a lot to me.

I also check in a couple times a week. We just celebrated Crystal's 1st anniversary of her Gotcha Day, and her 9th birthday. She is such a sweetie and is doing well

Phyllis L. here (RB kids Logan & Lacey). I still check in. We have never replaced Logan and Lacey with another Golden. We still have Ralphie & Hannah the Corgis. Hard to believe that Ralphie is 11 & 1/2 and Hannah is 3 & 1/2.

Take care!
Phyllis L.

Hi all,
I check in here a couple of times during the week. I still miss the Sunday stroll. Teddy is almost 8 years old. I'm.planning on getting his teeth cleaned in a couple of weeks. I really dreading it. He will not be happy to not get any food the morning of the procedure.
Please keep your fingers crossed that all goes well. I promise to start brushing his teeth after the cleaning. I like to hear about everyone else's pups, too.
Rosalind

Still checking in now and again. Requested to join the Facebook group but got no response.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. It is great to hear from you and keep in touch.

Gail, I am so sorry to hear that you lost Muffin. I know how much she is missed. Good luck with your new kids, and I'm sure that Peter will come around with love and time. Thanks for taking him into your home, and it sounds like he's already making good progress. Keep us posted!

Carol, hugs and treats to Kirby and Zoe Lynn from us. Glad they are doing well!

Vicki, hugs to your Butchie boy! I hope he is doing well and not scaring his mama any more. Keevin was on Gabapentin after his amputation for a couple weeks and tolerated it well. Let us know if it helps.

Ann, I know Layla and Bailey are keeping you busy, along with all your travels and Julia's adventures. I'm sure there will be another golden in your future.

Kim, I hope you have more great years with Buddy. Let us know how he's doing and good luck finding him a new brother or sister!

Carol, Happy Birthday and Gotcha Day to sweet Crystal!

Phyllis, Glad to hear the corgis are doing well. I can't believe Ralphie is 11! Is there another golden in your future?

Rosalind, Good luck with Teddy's teeth cleaning. It is scary to have it done, but they have fast reversing anesthesia now and we will keep our fingers and paws crossed that all goes well.

Mark, How are Kayla and Cooper doing? Thanks for replying to this post.

Everyone take care! Debbie

Debbie,

Butch is doing much better on the Gabapentin and Tramadol. In fact, it's hard to keep up with him on our walks. We're getting blood tests done on Friday morning. I'm a little nervous about that so keeping fingers crossed.

Vicki

Re: Cooper & Kaiya

Cooper is 13-1/2 and doing good. He doesn't move so fast but he gets around and his health is decent. Kaiya will be 13 in December. She is on special food after a bout of pancreatitis, but still loves to go for walks. Cooper goes a shorter distance and rolls in the grass instead.

My request to join the Facebook group is still pending if anybody here can approve that. Full name is Mark Ganzer. Thanks!

Judie here with RB Abby, RB Roxy and current rescues, Gage and Claire (both about 9 years old). We were fortunate to have Abby for 15 years and Roxy for 13 years. Losing them was one of the most painful times of our lives.

Now about our current pack: Gage came to us at age 2 1/2 and had already had one hip replaced. Despite that, he is the most laid back guy you will ever meet and would be perfectly at home with anyone who would feed him! Claire, on the other hand, was a backyard puppy mill breeding dog kept at a vacant lot with limited food, water or affection. Needless to say she is very fearful and nervous. When she gets upset she shreds things, like the dog beds....we have already replaced 7 of them! She has come a long way but will never be what she could have been if she had been raised in a loving home.

I usually check in at least once or twice a week and sure hope the site continues. I learned a lot about the breed and rescue goldens right from the beginning from Helen. It has been a wonderful resource for me. TRtYPPzhank you for keeping it up and running....

I just found this site again.

I had my computer not quite give up the ghost. It had all of my stuff on it. It would only run for 4 minutes, not long enough to do anything.

This was my only major loss, so I am very happy to be back tonight.

Ginger has turned 14 years old, has trouble getting up, and only goes up the stairs once at night and down once in the morning.

Jake (forever foster) is just as silly as ever, but getting white around the eyes. He has been with us for 3 plus years, since we had to get him another rabies vaccination, and that was something he needed early on when he came to stay as a foster.

Sophie is hanging in there at 10 years old, and still going to TOPS veterinary rehab in Grayslake, IL

I am still teaching at CLC, but have a few extra health issues.

I hope that everyone here is fine, and I look forward to catching up and reading what I missed.
PJ