Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum

Welcome! We hope this forum will turn into a wonderful place to exchange information about our favorite companions - golden retrievers! If at any time you have questions regarding this forum please drop me an email at bward5@mac.com I will respond as quickly as I can. Enjoy!!! Bill

Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sunday Social - Tricks

I actually have my wild child Faith in formal obedience. I've entered her in a trial in May for the first time. We've been doing obedience for many years now, but we've had different instructors and I've never felt confident that she had a chance at qualifying before. With the help of an amazing friend and instructor, we're going to give it a shot.

So, Faith knows many commands and is actually quite amazing. On command, she goes over high jumps, broad jumps, retrieves a dumbbell, will come when called then immediately drop down with the command 'down' - and she can heel off leash amazingly well. She is, by FAR, the most energetic dog in the obedience ring that I have ever seen. She is bouncing around me with enthusiasm and roo roos when she retrieves her dumbbell. All the other dogs I've seen quietly retrieve it and remain quietly by their owners side. But she clearly loves it and needs the mental stimulation.

Gemma, on the other hand, knows sit and come. That's about it, but she is a laid back, sensitive, innocent and gentle soul who has never misbehaved. She is truly your perfect golden. I tried her in obedience, but I could tell she didn't like it.

Sandra, Faith & Gemma

I liked hearing about the two different sides of tricks and training. I keep telling my hubby that Jake needs to do agility, since he has jumped the fence on his own.

I am in awe that Faith is going in to take an obedience trial. It is a lot of work to get to that point. I am sure that she has enjoyed it as much as the boys enjoy their agility class.

Right now, we are concerned about Ginger. It could just be old age (soon to be 14) or something else.

Sophie is still going to acupuncture and chiro for her spinal condition.

Jake had fun tonight (for a short time) with Sophie's "duck tail" ball from the Chuckit. He is usually afraid to take a toy, so it was good to see him have a little fun.
Sincerely,
PJ

When Lacey was about 4 years old, I did several months of agility training with her. We had so much fun! You never think your dog will be one of those who does the weave poles. Then all of a sudden they are doing them.

I am not very good a teaching tricks, but have taught all the dogs how to shake.

Ralphie (the Corgi) knows shake as well as roll over. I did a couple of years of training with Hannah (the Corgi). She was very good with obedience stuff. During the last couple of sessions, we did learn to retrieve the dumb bell, jumps, as well as drop to a down in the middle of running to me from a far distance away. It is still cute to watch her as she does a drop on command while running to me. She throws herself into a down and lets out a little happy woof.

Cheers,
Phyllis L
Ralphie & Hannah-the Corgis

My favorite thing to teach is tricks. The dogs love learning them because they get so much attention and praise. J knows shake, high five, spin, crawl, patty cake, hugs, kiss and some other silly stuff. This isn't really a trick but my favorite game is find it. I hide one of J's toys in another room and she has to find it. She loves to peek if she can.