Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum

Welcome! We hope this forum will turn into a wonderful place to exchange information about our favorite companions - golden retrievers! If at any time you have questions regarding this forum please drop me an email at bward5@mac.com I will respond as quickly as I can. Enjoy!!! Bill

Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sunday Social - Collars, Harnesses, Leashes

I use nylon collars with quick release buckles on my boys. Trapper has a Lupine brand collar that he's had since the day I got him. It's faded but still looks great and is in great condition. Keevin has a slightly stiffer one (can't remember the brand) but it is good for him. They also have 'dress' collars for special occasions.

I always walk them using harnesses - no pulling on sensitive necks and throats. I love using the Sense-ation harness (http://www.softouchconcepts.com) but Keevin was bothered by the leash attaching on his chest so I got him a Comfortflex (http://comfortflexharness.com) harness where the leash clips on top. Both cut down on pulling and are comfortable for them to wear. And they are easy to put on and off. When they see me reaching for the harnesses there is lots of excitement in my house!

My favorite leashes are the ones that GRRR gave me when I got them. They are 6 foot cotton web leashes and are so comfortable to hold, stay flexible, and don't slip out of my hand easily. I tie a permanent knot about 18 inches up from the clip which gives me a quick place to grab for short leash control. They are cheap to buy but very durable. But I do use retractable leashes for our walks. I like letting the boys have a little more room and freedom if we are out for a pleasure walk. I sometimes have to keep Keevin locked up in the short position to prevent him from eating everything and anything along the way.

Debbie and the boys

We use a retractable leash! Amazing, since we are such good dog people.

We use the 25 foot leash at night for Jake and Ginger for their last trip out, since they have a propensity for getting "lost" in the woods in the back of our fenced acre. It is not fun trying to track one of them down in the brush and trees.

Otherwise, for walking, we have the good old trusty leather leashes.

We use martingale collars as suggested by our rescue, As Good As Gold.

I like the Lupine brand, since they are almost indestructible, and always look new.

Happy Sunday to all!

I can't post my message, error says it is spam Not sure why it would think that, tried to substitute various words with no luck.

Carol, I can't imagine why that would happen. Perhaps if you try again. And if you copy your message before posting you can paste and won't have to retype it. I wish I could give you some advice why you would get that message but I don't have any idea.
Debbie