Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum

Welcome! We hope this forum will turn into a wonderful place to exchange information about our favorite companions - golden retrievers! If at any time you have questions regarding this forum please drop me an email at bward5@mac.com I will respond as quickly as I can. Enjoy!!! Bill

Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pancreatitis - Curly Murphy

I'm looking for some advice. My curly guy is suffering from pancreatitis for the first time. I forgot to take out the garbage and my 2 dummies got into it. It has been a week and the vet gave him some anti-nausea Medications and fluid under his skin to fight dehydration. He is looking better but won't eat more than 2oz of chicken a day. Any ideas to help him out? It has me worried since he is 13 1/2 years old

Janet

Re: Pancreatitis - Curly Murphy

Sorry, I've never had to deal with pancreatitis. I just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear Curly Murphy is under the weather. Just thinking good thoughts it moves on and he starts feeling like his old self.

Cheers,
Phyllis L.
Ralphie & Hannah-the Corgis

Janet,

The fact that it has been a week is a little concerning to me. But..since Curly Murphy is 13 1/2 years old it might take longer to heal.

Butch had pancreatitis last year. He was 11 years old then. He threw up about 5 times and was very letharic. We made a trip to our Vet. She told us to hold food from him for 24 hours but leave water for him. We also checked his gums several times a day to make sure he wasn't going into shock. After holding food for 24 hours I started slowly feeding him small meals. It took about 4 days for him to get back to normal.

Is Curly Murphy drinking water? We reminded Butch a lot to drink water. I would put his water bowl in front of him where he was laying.

I sure hope Curly Murphy gets better. If you don't feel like he's right I'd take him back to the Vet.

Keep us posted.

Vicki

Erin had it 3 or 4 times. It always took awhile for her to get back to normal. I think we did sub q fluids on her because she was older. Give us an update when you can.

Sending get better thoughts to Curly Murphy. I always call our vet if I have any questions. She will give us advice and tell us if we need to come in.

I think that my daughter's golden oldie, Chloe, had pancreatitis lately, and did not bounce back very fast. She had never been much of a good eater, so she was very picker for quite a while.
Regards,
PJ