Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum

Welcome! We hope this forum will turn into a wonderful place to exchange information about our favorite companions - golden retrievers! If at any time you have questions regarding this forum please drop me an email at bward5@mac.com I will respond as quickly as I can. Enjoy!!! Bill

Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sunday Social - cats and dogs

PJ sorry you are having so much trouble posting. Is there anything we can do to help ??

I had three cats up until last year when I lost two of my beloved seniors ages 15 and 19. It broke my heart. But Faith, Gemma and all of the cats have always gotten along extremely well. Barry, the 15 year old cat, used to groom Faith and Gemma. Never a single snarl or hiss - rather heaps of dogs and cats curling up together. Feels a bit lonely with only one cat now, but am not sure I would be doing her any favours if I try to introduce another cat - she is almost 14 years old, so I may leave well enough alone - for now.

Sandra, Faith, Gemma and kitty Emma

We've always had cats with our dogs. Logan and Lacey were fine with the cats, and even allowed them to sleep next to them. Ralphie & Hannah like to pester the cats, particular the one who they know is most bothered by it. If she runs, they will chase her. Our 2nd cat isn't bothered by them at all. If they start to go after her, she'll turn on them which then surprises them. No one is ever hurt, other than their feelings. I keep telling Ralphie and Hannah it does not look good on their resume to have "chases cats" on it. On the other hand, they do know cat #1 is an indoor kitty. If she happens to wander outside they will herd her back into the house, or at the very least corner her and then sound the warning to me that the cat is outside.

Cheers,
Phyllis L.
Ralphie & Hannah-the Corgis

What a great "alarm system" you have there !!!

Only had one cat, Salem, and he crossed the Bridge this past April. All the dogs were afraid of him. When we brought a new dog into the house, he would greet the dog with a hiss and a swat on the nose to let them know who was in charge - HIM!

We have always had golden retrievers and cats. Our Rainbow Bridge goldens Michelob and Genesee were terrified of our male cat Spot. He terrorized them and would swat them as much as possible. So they gave him wide berth in the house and would shake in fear if he sauntered up next to them and rubbed against them when they were laying on the floor. Now our goldens Stormy and Buddy (both 13 years old) live with three cats Mistletoe, Bob and King Phu. Mistletoe and Bob are bother 12 and have grown up with the goldens. They all love each other and tend to sleep all close together, especially in the winter. The youngest cat Phu is only 4 years old and came to us as a rescue when he was about 4 months old. He likes to stir things up from time to time and swat the goldens tails!

Our goldens have always gotten along with the cats. I currently have one cat, Chloe, who rules the roost. In fact, she will lay on the large dog bed and my silly male golden, Gage, will put his butt in the cat bed and then sprawl the rest of him out on the floor. My female golden, Claire, will just whine and look at me until I get up and move the cat...cracks me up. They outweigh her by 55-60 lbs! too funny.