Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum

Welcome! We hope this forum will turn into a wonderful place to exchange information about our favorite companions - golden retrievers! If at any time you have questions regarding this forum please drop me an email at bward5@mac.com I will respond as quickly as I can. Enjoy!!! Bill

Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gracie Update

Leann, so good to hear that Gracie is improving with the new medication. Here's hoping for a complete turn around for her. Will be looking forward to another great Christmas Card

Carol in SD

Leann, That is great news. I hope that your vet is able to keep you supplied with Apoquel. The demand has been so great that Zoetis (used to be Pfizer), who manufactures it, hasn't been able to keep up with the demand. Currently they are only able to make enough to continue to provide it to current customers, and no new ones. There is a lot of info about it on their website: https://www.zoetisus.com/products/pages/apoqueldvm/index.aspx and https://www.zoetisus.com/products/pages/apoqueldvm/pdfs/apoquel-availability-statement-7-7-14-v2.pdf

Interestingly, when I rescued Trapper he was very itchy and my vet told me about a new study that a clinic in Denver was participating in. Turns out it was part of the clinical trial for Apoquel (but they never told us the name of the drug during the trial). Trapper was in it for 2 different 3 month trials in 2010. It REALLY helped him! It is so neat to hear about another golden that is being helped by the trial he was in! Trapper's scratching totally went away while on the trials. And since then it has been much less severe even though he has never been on the medication again. I can now keep it under control with Benedryl.

Give Gracie a big hug and tell her my boys and I are so happy to hear that she is getting some relief.

Debbie

Yes Debbie, we were extremely lucky to get it. The Vet Dermatologist has a waiting list but Gracie jumped to the top since we have for years been fighting this and they felt she was in greater need then some because of her condition. Her quality of life was terrible. If she is on the beach she plays like a puppy but for the rest of the time it was moaning and scratching. Awful for her and after awhile nerver wracking for us.

Good luck with the new drug. Debbie's post sounds very encouraging!

Sandra, Faith & Gemma

I'm sure that my Murphy would have liked that medication.

PJ