Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum

Welcome! We hope this forum will turn into a wonderful place to exchange information about our favorite companions - golden retrievers! If at any time you have questions regarding this forum please drop me an email at bward5@mac.com I will respond as quickly as I can. Enjoy!!! Bill

Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A memorial for Bill

Folks, since Bill was always so kind to forum members and their pups, I'm investigating some meaningful ways for those who wish to memorialize Bill. One of his favorite things to do was attend Golden Retriever Rescue of the Rockies events, pockets stuffed with good dog treats, surrounded by a sea of gold, lots of times a very wet sea of gold.

When I get all of the information, it will be shared here. Some of the current thoughts are: a bench in GRRR's memorial garden, a treat jar with photos of Bill and GRRR dogs for the kennel kitchen, a plaque somewhere on the property, or a donation to whichever of GRRR's funds makes sense to the donor. For information to see what kinds of needs GRRR has, you can go to www.goldenrescue.com and click on the donate button. You can review the various funds. This is in no way a plea for anyone to participate, simply a way to easily participate if you're so inclined. I will detail the options when the details are available.

Re: A memorial for Bill

Molly, I think this would be wonderful. I would love to participate.

Thanks!
Phyllis L.

A great idea Molly. I like the bench idea or the cookie jar. Maybe a flag with a photo of Bill and all the Gold dogs gathered around for his treats.

Molly -
Thanks for getting information on all these options for us! Great ideas! I'd love to help do something!
Fidele & Cedar

Thanks Molly. I'll stay tuned for more information. I too would love to participate.

Gail

Thanks Molly,

I am in for whatever is needed to remember Bill. A bench or a plaque with appropriate wording would make a nice permanent memorial in Bill's name sake.

Any donation to GRRR funds would make Bill proud. I am happy to contribute to a permanent memorial as well as GRRR funds.

Sandra, Faith & Gemma

I would absolutely be willing to donate for the memorial that is chosen.
Thanks for doing this.
Carol

Thanks Molly, I would love to contribute to a memorial for Bill.

Carol in SD

Wonderful thoughts all... I would like to contribute in any way that you feel is best.

hugs,
Carol

Let me know, Molly - I will definitely participate!

He is already missed so much - I sure hope he knew how much we all appreciated him!!

Marianne

Re: A memorial for Bill (Updated information)

Folks, here's the e-mail I received from GRRR's new executive director in response to my request for pricing and need for a bench, a plaque, a treat jar or other permanent memorial for Bill. Given the high price of either a bench or a plaque, and the non-necessity of another treat jar, my proposal would be to use the naming tribute for $100 (happy to collect the monies and get that going) and then use anything left over for the Golden Angel Fund, which I think would please Bill. As for the naming tribute, I think it would be fitting to use the name Bill rather than Bill's angel dog Trouble. Since we are a long-standing group of friends, this decision should be as close to consensus as we can get. If you're in favor of this idea, please respond to that effect. If you have an alternative idea, please list it and we'll put down all alternative ideas. If you'd rather do your own thing, that's fine, too.

"HI Molly, this has been a tough week for getting a hold of folks. I think we all get overloaded sometimes. I started with GRRR in November, so I don’t have a list to go by, however, I can tell you plaques (in memory of) on a kennel is $2500. We do have a spot in the memory garden for a bench, but I’m not sure of the rate on that (somewhere between 2500-5000). Yes, all benches would need to be the same, but we have a stone company we work with. We have several treat containers in the kennels. Since a crashing to the floor accident we are staying away from any glass or ceramic in there with the pups.
As for options, there are several different options on our donate page. In fact, there is room for a note when you go through the straight donate method. Someone could just enter “in memory of….” In that comment area and those funds would go to anything you would like to designate in his memory.
I hope that helps. Let me know of anything else I can do to help.

Kevin"

Abby can make one of these, which would be adorable with Bill's photo surrounded by GRRR dogs. I will ask Kevin whether this could be place in the memorial garden, so some of the funds could be used to purchase this as a permanent structure in the garden.

http://www.dogmomdogdesigns.com/2009/yard%20sign.jpg

I wish we could do a bench - but considering the cost, I guess that's not feasible unless there are others who can/would donate lots more than I'm able to donate.
Fidele

Fidele, that was my thought, too. It's a lot of money, and we're a small group. If GRRR would allow Abby's metal memorial, at least there will be something permanent there.

I agree, the naming tribute seems appropriate and I will be happy to contribute. Thank you Molly for your efforts.

Gail

" My proposal would be to use the naming tribute for $100 (happy to collect the monies and get that going) and then use anything left over for the Golden Angel Fund, which I think would please Bill. "

This sounds perfect to me, Molly! address for checks?

I'm up for the naming tribute... Just need the address for a check. Thanks for doing this Molly!

Trish, Abby, and Minnie

Address for naming tribute donations (any other donations can go directly to GRRR) and if the naming contributions exceed $100, I will donate the excess to the Golden Angel Fund:

Molly Heins
4705 Hancock Drive
Boulder, CO 80303

Molly, thanks so much for handling all of this. I am happy with any of the options you have discussed, and I know Bill would be as well. My check is in the mail to you.

Phyllis L.

Molly -
Should checks be made to you or to GRRR? (mine will be on the way)
THANKS for doing this for all of us!
Fidele & Cedar

Fidele, to me, please, as I will then write a check for the naming tribute and another one to the Golden Angel Fund if there's any leftover monies.

What is a naming tribute? Did they turn down the sign?

Leann, go to www.goldenrescue.com and click on the donate word. You'll see a variety of ways to donate, including the naming tribute. People are going to send me money to name a new GRRR dog Bill, then whatever monies are left over, I will donate to the Golden Angel Fund in Bill's honor. I haven't checked on whether the sign that Abby could make can go into the memorial garden, but I'm working on it. I would simply buy one outright from Abby.

Molly I will get a check in the mail. Thanks!

I agree that a naming tribute would be most appropriate for Bill. Too bad the bench is so expensive, it would have been nice. Hopefully GRRR will allow Abby's sign as it is also a lovely tribute.

I'll mail my cheque out to you today.

Thanks for your efforts Molly.

Sandra

Thank you, Molly, for handling this for the forum. Our check will be in the mail to you this afternoon.

Marcy

My check will also be mailed later today.
Thank you for doing this.

I was looking through old posts last night and I re-read the one when I had lost my sweet Haley last July. Bill jumped right on and posted several photos of her. He was so thoughtful like that. Even though I wasn't a good guesser, I will surely miss him and the Sunday Stroll :(

Carol

I like the memorial sign (Abbys), is that still a possibiity?
Leann in RI