Return to Website

Black Sisters & Brothers United Network

A Place For You - Of You - By You

Black Sisters & Brothers United Network
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mothers,Fathers our sons are dying

I wrote this after reading the death of Merlin Santana.How sad that our young don't have more respect for life.

Nothing new under the sun .. wanna bet.

Have you looked around, you see a

sunset. Is your baby boy in the house,you checked yet

Or is he on the corner and you see no reason to fret.

Did you read the paper,the news will spin your head

They talking about tupac,biggie and master Jay being dead.

They talking about Merlin who just joined that list They talking about us,how do we stop this.

We're losing our babies,our men ,our backbone We hardly put down a paper before another ones gone.

They talking about the Jason's and the David's in my world .The promising young men who died in this turmoil.

Nothing new under the sun .. wanna bet,

yesterday one of these boys wasn't dead.

We are thier parents,you and me .. we've got to band to set our son's

free.

It does begin at home believe it or not we've got to teach them not to want what another's got.

We've got to show them how to stand tall, work for thier dreams pain and all.

I'm talking to you ..you think your son's safe I thought that too .. now

I don't see Jasons face.

But if nothings new under the sun,help me to save one child a new day has begun.

written by Mae Will İnov 12,2002

Re: Mothers,Fathers our sons are dying

Mae, I enjoyed your poem, "Nothing new under the sun". I agree that we must teach them not to want what others have. We are losing our young people at an alarming rate in the inner cities, which is a tragedy. Where is the, "Treat others the way you want to be treated"?, where is the, "Love your neighbor as you do yourself" what's happening to our young people? I had a nephew who was killed at the age of 22 trying to take something that wasn't his. The last words I spoke with him was, "You can't do wrong and expect for it to turn out good", he tried to make me see that he could do it. The next time I saw him I was identifying his body. I can't tell him I told you so, I wish I could. I pray that the Lord will open the eyes of the ones who still have a chance to change their behavior before it's too late.

Rev. Bettie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I wrote this after reading the death of Merlin Santana.How sad that our young don't have more respect for life.

They talking about Merlin who just joined that list They talking about us,how do we stop this.

We're losing our babies,our men ,our backbone We hardly put down a paper before another ones gone.

They talking about the Jason's and the David's in my world .The promising young men who died in this turmoil.

free.

It does begin at home believe it or not we've got to teach them not to want what another's got.

I don't see Jasons face.

But if nothings new under the sun,help me to save one child a new day has begun.

Re: Re: Mothers,Fathers our sons are dying

Rev.Bettie

Yes,what you say is exactly what is happening.we've got to find the way to reach these young people.Who else cares about Blk. on Blk. crime if not us,(blk. people).I know of a young blk. man who killed an older man did almost 5 years and was home in time to take his then newborn son to school the first day.As far as law goes there still is no value to a blk. mans life.My son was only 19,he was killed by someone whom he proclaimed his "new friend".Why? because he was talented,belonged to a group who were trying to make it and the young people loved him in our hometown.He was everything his friend wasn't,and he died because of it.How and when will we take the initiative and save our own.No one can tell me that it shouldn't start from the hands that rock the cradle.One of the statements that filled my mothers heart with joy was when the minister said "this young man was baptised when he was 2.Someone cared about his soul.You see, he hasn't hurt anybody".May God bless us all and show us the way to reach out and touch our own.

Replying to:

Mae, I enjoyed your poem, "Nothing new under the sun". I agree that we must teach them not to want what others have. We are losing our young people at an alarming rate in the inner cities, which is a tragedy. Where is the, "Treat others the way you want to be treated"?, where is the, "Love your neighbor as you do yourself" what's happening to our young people? I had a nephew who was killed at the age of 22 trying to take something that wasn't his. The last words I spoke with him was, "You can't do wrong and expect for it to turn out good", he tried to make me see that he could do it. The next time I saw him I was identifying his body. I can't tell him I told you so, I wish I could. I pray that the Lord will open the eyes of the ones who still have a chance to change their behavior before it's too late.

Rev. Bettie

Replying to:

free.

I don't see Jasons face.