Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Frock coats or sack coats

I would say these are more early war coats when soldiers wore what was available, but got the much more popular sack coat as the war rolled on. These would be suitable for Bull Run, Shiloh, Antietam, possibly Fredericksburg, but not Gettysburg! Maybe we will be looking forward to another set for the later battles?

Re: Masters for New (ACW Union) US Infantry on the March

Well, it's Friday so I want the Strelet's Team to retreat back to their families knowing I couldn't be more excited about another great set of Teaser Pictures or Masters - "US Infantry on the March" in case you read no further.

Here's a few thoughts and reflections I have over their ACW Range:

* Their on-line Catalog has grown from 3 General Staff sets to 7 now include "CSA's Pickett's Charge 1", "US Infantry on the March", "Gettysburg US Cavalry Skirmishing", and "US Infantry in Attack 2." Only one doesn't have Masters or Teaser Pictures posted yet.

* Since the recent commitment from Strelets to go forward with this line, I wasn't shy about telling them what I wanted and how to do it, such as one mould run in both Blue and Gray. They said, why not make original moulds for both sides and uniquely original sets? Out loud I said, "Oh, yeah!" Secretly I thought, "Holy cow; are you kidding; in my life time?" The only cavet: Successor sets will be predicated upon the success of these initial sets.

* So, concerning Frock coats, Sack coats, and Shell Jackets (for Union Infantry), if this latest set of Masters for Union Infantry on the March sells well enough, we will get either in Mini Sets or Full Sets of Infantry in Sack and Shell jackets, maybe even Iron Brigade, CSA Cavalry, themed sets, and if people support their efforts, ... "To Infinity & Beyond!"

* While every other company (for the most part) has tried to cover all Infantry themes with one set, Strelets is offering us to cover sets for all.

It seems they have a pretty well thought out business plan for the American Civil War Range, step by step. But these are just my personal thoughts out loud.

Anyway, Thank you Strelets Team! Whatever sets you make for the ACW, I'm buying

P.S. to Strelets,

I'd like to get in line to request CSA Cavalry to look just as new and nice as the Union Cavalry. I have a lot of the Gulliver Confederate Cavalry who already made a nice set of missfits with little to no details. So I'd hope for some well equipped Troopers wearing Shell jackets looking smart if at all possible.

Thank you!

Alas I have no patience. I have to admit I stocked up on Italeri Confederate cavalry and infantry in anticipation of the new Strelets sets. Those will hold me over til Strelets rebels get released. Exciting times for collectors. All the best! Cappy

I'm painting up some Italeri cavalry too, from what it looks like it seems that the Strelets cavalry will mix well with the Italeri Union. I hope we get to see the horses soon. I'm really excited about all this to be honest, I wonder what Pickett's Charge set 2 will contain though, if it contains personalities like Armistead and maybe a sprue of casualties/walking wounded then it would be perfect. And I'm still hoping for a great coats set but I guess that's further into the future.

Traveller
I'm painting up some Italeri cavalry too, from what it looks like it seems that the Strelets cavalry will mix well with the Italeri Union. I hope we get to see the horses soon. I'm really excited about all this to be honest, I wonder what Pickett's Charge set 2 will contain though, if it contains personalities like Armistead and maybe a sprue of casualties/walking wounded then it would be perfect. And I'm still hoping for a great coats set but I guess that's further into the future.

Hopefully the Series sets #2 will contain casualties, wounded, loading, shooting, bayoneting, and other more typical battle poses as you suggest. You also mention "great coats." Do you mean like the Union Irish Brigade? When I looked them up, I can see Union in "great coats", "sack coats", and "shell jackets" as well as Confederate 10th Tennesse portraits. So many possibilities for the future!

GarrisonClay
Traveller

Hopefully the Series sets #2 will contain casualties, wounded, loading, shooting, bayoneting, and other more typical battle poses as you suggest. You also mention "great coats." Do you mean like the Union Irish Brigade? When I looked them up, I can see Union in "great coats", "sack coats", and "shell jackets" as well as Confederate 10th Tennesse portraits. So many possibilities for the future!

Greatcoats were worn by both sides during winter and sometimes spring, I think Union artillerymen were supposed to wear them at all times but this was not followed of course.

In 1/72 this is rarely seen but both Italeri and Accurate/Revell produced them with various results.

faugh a ballagh
clear the way irish brigade!

I thought they were good for Danish 1864 at first glance but the jackets need to be double breasted.

I notice these Danes carry their rifles (at slope) on their left shoulder and I thought this was fairly standard and still is. Not sure why but it leaves the right hand free to pick your nose. The slope arms are a bit vertical on the models and look from the pics as if they are balancing them. As I write I bet somebody is sifting through all those surviving ACW cartes visite to prove that they have blue tunics that are not too short nor too long. Most of them got their mums to take them up or let them down before a photo but generally there must have been a lot of variation. I mention mums because with their whiskers and sideburns this batch look skewed to the middle aged gent type who could handle fancy needlework themselves.

David O'Brien
The slope arms are a bit vertical on the models and look from the pics as if they are balancing them.

The US Army did not use "slope arms", period. Shoulder arms was the norm, with the right hand wrapped around the trigger guard and the rifle carried vertically, tucked in to the right shoulder, as per Hardee's Manual.
https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8660657_f520.jpg

Some Virginia units in the CS Army used Gilham's manual where the rifle is carried sloped back over the left shoulder, left hand gripping the butt as in these figures.

The other most common position used for movement at the double quick, was "right shoulder shift": the rifle is held with the right hand under the butt and angled to the rear and left, behind the soldier's head

http://acws.co.uk/gilhams/images/gilh013.gif