Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Masters for Imperial Japanese Army in Attack are up

Alan Buckingham
To echo previous comments 23mm please, no giants, and the clubbing figure.....quite useless , we have had this debate many times on all the forums over the years, one clubbing figure for novelty value is OK, one on each sprue, giving us four is a waste of the sculptors time, good plastic and our money, the rest of the set looks fantastic, however I wait to see what they are like for size before committing to buy.

It took me less than 2 minutes to find some famous paintings of a Napleonic battle and American Civil War battle with soldiers clubbing on Wikipedia. The clubbing and bayoneting poses Strelets makes are absolutely authentic, useful and common during those wars and all others with rifles. During the life of this and another forum, I recall only 1 debate about bayoneting and clubbing, so to say many is simply exaggeration. Luckily the Strelets Team sees through the laughable comments that sculptors are wasting their time and plastic reintroducing and designing great action poses. One topic not an exaggeration that was beat far beyond death on the forums were unmarried zulus. Now there is a nagging topic many of us are happy to not have to hear about anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayonet

GarrisonClay
Alan Buckingham
To echo previous comments 23mm please, no giants, and the clubbing figure.....quite useless , we have had this debate many times on all the forums over the years, one clubbing figure for novelty value is OK, one on each sprue, giving us four is a waste of the sculptors time, good plastic and our money, the rest of the set looks fantastic, however I wait to see what they are like for size before committing to buy.

It took me less than 2 minutes to find some famous paintings of a Napleonic battle and American Civil War battle with soldiers clubbing on Wikipedia. The clubbing and bayoneting poses Strelets makes are absolutely authentic, useful and common during those wars and all others with rifles. During the life of this and another forum, I recall only 1 debate about bayoneting and clubbing, so to say many is simply exaggeration. Luckily the Strelets Team sees through the laughable comments that sculptors are wasting their time and plastic reintroducing and designing great action poses. One topic not an exaggeration that was beat far beyond death on the forums were unmarried zulus. Now there is a nagging topic many of us are happy to not have to hear about anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayonet

I've seen paintings of Arthur and his knights of the round table in full plate armor, does this make it valid?

Also, ACW and Napoleonic. How many WW2 Japanese fought there?

wow! these latest WWI and WWII figures look like they're up among the best, makes me want to do a Thin Red Line diorama! I hope they use the clubbing pose for the ACW sets too, or a similiar..

Hi

I wanted to add my comments to those that have been said before,

- Please ditch the clubbing guy. As Alan B. said above, one clubbing guy may be OK, four clubbing guys is a waste.

- Please replace the clubbing guy with a light machine gunner.

- Please give the flag bearer a rifle. Slung across the back is probably best.

- Please make then about 23mm tall, again as Alan B. said.

I think that every one except the arming the flag-bearer has been said before.

Just my 2 cents

Pat Brennan

Another great looking action set, Strelets. In fact it is perfect for new movie "Hacksaw Ridge" which was a battle loaded with lots of hand to hand fighting. I really like the close quarters action poses, especially appropriate is the clubbing pose. Good value for my money. I'll use all of them. Keep up the good work!

No clubbing guy, please. Useless figure, I wish him into the cornfield.

Replace him with a light machine gunner, running with a bayonet on his light machine gun. This link shows a drawing of a Japanese soldier with his light machine gun and bayonet. http://www.thortrains.com/getright/shootlmg.html

Add a rifle to the man with the flag, slung over his shoulder. Or, even better, attach the flag to a rifle. The Japanese often did this and we already have plenty of flag guys. http://www.singlebuttonjoystick.com/tag/sinyang/ This link shows a Japanese soldier with rifle and flag.

I look forward to Japanese heavy weapons in the future, in addition to cavalry, and Chinese.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek
Bunker Talk blog

If the clubber is a done thing then replacing his rifle with a sword might be possible. NCOs carried swords which were fairly rudimentary in appearance but just as deadly as an officer's. The grip was in aluminium,iron,copper etc and cast to represent the traditional katana bindings and the blade was mass produced of course. My father in law had one from Burma so I know what they handle like. It seems to be accepted wisdom now that only officers carried swords. Alternatively the clubber might be a casualty which to me seems a great omission from an attacking set.
The type 100 smg was usually held by the left hand just under and to the rear of the chamber not on the magazine. The 8mm round had a fairly gentle recoil so the need was for balance rather than bracing. It looks as if he is about to take the magazine off.

Nice figures and well done.

Nice looking figures. They are listed as in attack so I like the clubbing guy. When the ammo runs out you use what you've got. I like setting up for melee so these figures fit together fine. Thanks! Cappy

Cappy
Nice looking figures. They are listed as in attack so I like the clubbing guy. When the ammo runs out you use what you've got. I like setting up for melee so these figures fit together fine. Thanks! Cappy

There's a little thing called a bayonet, that was issued to everyone...

Zirrian
Cappy

There's a little thing called a bayonet, that was issued to everyone...

Zirrian,

Obviously you simply like arguing for the sake of argument. You should read the Wikipedia link I posted above. You'd learn King Arthur and his knights didn't use rifles. Further most of their weapons were for bludgeoning people to death, just like the Strelets pose.

But it doesn't matter what anyone writes, you just like to argue nonsense and don't get that there are other customers who have their own likes different than yours. I trust that Strelets has done their homework.

Have a great day ...

GarrisonClay

Zirrian,

Obviously you simply like arguing for the sake of argument. You should read the Wikipedia link I posted above. You'd learn King Arthur and his knights didn't use rifles. Further most of their weapons were for bludgeoning people to death, just like the Strelets pose.

But it doesn't matter what anyone writes, you just like to argue nonsense and don't get that there are other customers who have their own likes different than yours. I trust that Strelets has done their homework.

Have a great day ...

So because I have a differing opinion I must be obviously wrong and argue for the sake of arguing.

Sure.

Hi Zirrian

I have run into this problem with GarrisonClay before when he posted under a different name on another forum. He actually got worse with me when we disagreed about ring hands.

The Japanese soldier was an excellent bayonet fighter. I have never seen a Japanese-made photo of Japanese soldier without his bayonet fixed on his rifle. They seemed to almost prefer to use the bayonet. The fact that their light machine guns were capable of taking a bayonet, and usually did, says a lot about their preferences.

I still request that the pose be deleted and a light machine gunner (with fixed bayonet) be substituted.

Pat Brennan

Pat Brennan
Hi Zirrian

I have run into this problem with GarrisonClay before when he posted under a different name on another forum. He actually got worse with me when we disagreed about ring hands.

The Japanese soldier was an excellent bayonet fighter. I have never seen a Japanese-made photo of Japanese soldier without his bayonet fixed on his rifle. They seemed to almost prefer to use the bayonet. The fact that their light machine guns were capable of taking a bayonet, and usually did, says a lot about their preferences.

I still request that the pose be deleted and a light machine gunner (with fixed bayonet) be substituted.

Pat Brennan

I recall Mike Bunkermeister and I are in favor of ring hands. I like the fact so many of Strelets sets do have ring hands. I just bought about 20 boxes of all Strelets ww1 cavalry sets and like the ring hands. Why don't you ask Strelets to add the bayonet to the clubbing guy like in the nappy pictures. Doesn't HaT also use ring hands?

Hi GC

Yes – HaT went back to ring hands which are easier to sculpt than a natural hand shapes which will also take and hold weapons without glue. It is a shame as natural hands look so much better than ring hands.

I also have a bunch of Strelets WW1 Cavalry. They would look better with natural hands. BTW, I actually have 29 Strelets WW1 cavalry sets as follows:

German Cuirassiers – 2 sets
German Dragoons – 2 sets
German Uhlans – 2 sets
German Hussars – 4 sets
Russian Dragoons – 2 sets
Russian Hussars – 7 sets
Russian Kuban/Terek Cossacks – 3 sets
Russian Don Cossacks (Winter Dress) – 2 sets
Russian Don Cossacks in Summer Dress – 4 sets
Lawrence of Arabia – 1 set

Adding a bayonet to the clubbing guy would be silly. He would gut himself on the down swing ( unless he was trying to commit “seppuku” ).

Have a nice day.

Pat Brennan

Pat Brennan
Hi GC

Yes – HaT went back to ring hands which are easier to sculpt than a natural hand shapes which will also take and hold weapons without glue. It is a shame as natural hands look so much better than ring hands.

I also have a bunch of Strelets WW1 Cavalry. They would look better with natural hands. BTW, I actually have 29 Strelets WW1 cavalry sets as follows:

German Cuirassiers – 2 sets
German Dragoons – 2 sets
German Uhlans – 2 sets
German Hussars – 4 sets
Russian Dragoons – 2 sets
Russian Hussars – 7 sets
Russian Kuban/Terek Cossacks – 3 sets
Russian Don Cossacks (Winter Dress) – 2 sets
Russian Don Cossacks in Summer Dress – 4 sets
Lawrence of Arabia – 1 set

Adding a bayonet to the clubbing guy would be silly. He would gut himself on the down swing ( unless he was trying to commit “seppuku” ).

Have a nice day.

Pat Brennan

You're right, ring hands to look good and work at this scale are, how can I say, "a compromise" both camps, either way, have to live with. The old Britains Swoppets were naturals, and look so cool. To do my own same kind of conversions at our scale (Giant Plastics Corp/Hong Kong copies) of the Knights is a real challenge, but fun.

Durn! 29 ww1 cavalry sets. Ouch, you got me. But, I'll try to make it up when the ACW sets come out.

I wasn't serious about adding the bayonet, but why isn't everyone sniveling about 4 bannermen, or 4 officers? Just saying.

What I have learned to try to do these days (I emphasize "try") is ask for and support the poses I want. I try not to say out loud and directly is ... "don't give the other guy what poses he just said he wants."

OK, I hear ya and Cheers to ya!

Gee sometimes BAYONETS are lost,shot off, or broken.Maybe that's why he doesn't have one. Cappy

I'm agnostic on whether or not there should be a clubbing Japanese guy in the set. But there is one set of Japanese opponents that has not been made by anyone and cries out for the Strelets treatment, and that is the KNIL. Please make a set, or two if you are really feeling your oats.

Hi Cappy

While it is possible that these things may happen, they are highly unlikely. The bayonet was the closest thing to a sword that the average Japanese soldier would ever get. The sword was a big deal in the "bushido" that made up WW2 Japanese culture. The Japanese soldier took very good care of it.

Pat Brennan

Pat Brennan
Hi Cappy

While it is possible that these things may happen, they are highly unlikely. The bayonet was the closest thing to a sword that the average Japanese soldier would ever get. The sword was a big deal in the "bushido" that made up WW2 Japanese culture. The Japanese soldier took very good care of it.

Pat Brennan

If I may, here are more pictures of fighting men that you would assert are historically highly unlikely. Prussians w/boyonets in nappy times, ww1 germans clubbing, and more, so much evidence. I'm going with Strelets sculptors and like the clubbing pose.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=922&q=american+civil+war+hand+to+hand+fighting+paintings&oq=american+civil+war+hand+to+hand+fighting+paintings&gs_l=img.3...2583.24109.0.24459.68.16.9.43.46.0.196.2153.0j16.16.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..0.42.2323...0j0i8i30k1j0i24k1.v3fYG60UH_E#imgdii=0PRsGX6S4IUj-M:&imgrc=-EFve47j16PPeM:

BTW, "bushido" is a samurai thing, not Japanese thing. Not all of ww2 Japanese subscribed to the samurai philosophy. When the samurai class with their swords were outlawed, the samurai class were the founders of the Japanese Imperial Navy and Army who got them into trouble. I lived in Japan for 14 years and had many conversations with them. Don't mistake a high sense of pride and success as a group synonymous with all Japanese being of former samurai class nor minds ...

Masters for Imperial Japanese Army in Attack Ring Hands

Perhaps the ring hand is a solution for the soldier clubbing problem.

Make him a ring hand figure and give us a choice of a man with a rifle or a man with a sword.

If we got 48 poses in this set, then one guy clubbing would be okay.
My concern is we are getting 12 poses and 8% of them are clubbing and that just seems too many for my taste, three or four spures with one clubbing guy each is more than I really want once I buy 6 or 8 or 10 boxes of them. A platoon of clubbing guys is a bit much.

My first choice, would still be a man with a light machine gun and bayonet.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek
Bunker Talk blog

Re: Masters for Imperial Japanese Army in Attack Ring Hands

Mike Bunkermeister Creek
Perhaps the ring hand is a solution for the soldier clubbing problem.

Make him a ring hand figure and give us a choice of a man with a rifle or a man with a sword.

If we got 48 poses in this set, then one guy clubbing would be okay.
My concern is we are getting 12 poses and 8% of them are clubbing and that just seems too many for my taste, three or four spures with one clubbing guy each is more than I really want once I buy 6 or 8 or 10 boxes of them. A platoon of clubbing guys is a bit much.

My first choice, would still be a man with a light machine gun and bayonet.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek
Bunker Talk blog

Well said, Mike,

Thank you for being a gentleman!

GC

Hi GC

I had a long post ready to go. Then I decided that it was time to end our discussion.

Peace.

Pat Brennan

Pat Brennan
Hi GC

I had a long post ready to go. Then I decided that it was time to end our discussion.

Peace.

Pat Brennan

Hi Pat,

You don't need to say "peace" to me. You and I never did have a problem here in this thread, unless you want to fight someone else's fight for them. You know who, your choice. So moving on ...

I'd and others, I'm sure, would like to hear what you've got to say more about toy soldiers. I like all of the suggestions from the forum members recommend for poses. Strelets will ultimately make the final choice and maybe, just maybe, we'll see all of our ideas in this and future sets.

Since the ring-hand days, I've done many "hand-swops" (not weapon swops). I could design one pose that you could swop with hands attached - for swords, pistols, rifles, flags, grenades ... and only one figure.

I'd also like to hear about your knowledge and experiences with Japanese and Japan are. You have baited me! I acknowledge my opinion is mine alone, and I'm not a scholar.

Leave the clubbing guy as is I'd say. After all, this is an "attack" set. And this one is very well sculpted.

Should I find I don't need four of them, I will give some a shovel instead. Regards, Pa