Piper Boat Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the Piper Boat Owners club Forum. The Forum for owners of Piper built Narrowboats and Barges and anyone interested in Piper Boats. The owners club is completely separate from Piper Boats. Please feel free to post a message to club members and web site readers.

General Discussions
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The toilet waste holding tank.

Hello all,
Our boat "Owlet" is 37 years old now and I worry a little about the waste holding tank. Can anyone tell me if the bottom of the tank is also the bottom of the boat? She had a new 6mm bottom welded to the original bottom around the wear edge 3 years ago. Is the tank liable to corrode after 37 years? Is there any additive that can be added to the tank to slow the corrosion down? Am I worrying too much? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Ian.

Re: The toilet waste holding tank.

Hi

The base of the boat is the bottom of the tank and part of the construction of the boat. I'll check with David as Owlet is slightly different as there are two layers of steel at the base of the tank, as I understand it. I'll get back to you on that.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, there are a lot of our boats older than Owlet out there and they're not having problems.

Thanks

Dot

Hello Dot.
Many thanks for your reply. You've put my mind at rest! What a wonderful facility this forum is.
Ian.

Hi again.

As I thought, there shouldn't be any problem. Thanks for using the forum. The web site cam't be updated at present but everyones welcome to use the forum.

Dot

I have the lady ann piper boat 1983 and just removed the waste tank as it was rotten and leaking realy bad so now fitted a cassette toilet. Also it had a shower and the base plate was used as a shower tray so when I came to sort the bathroom out the base plate had rotted from the inside so its coming out of the water in October for a new base plate ...three grand. the boat has become a nightmare money pit for me