Frances Farmer Forum

Please use this message board as a means of discussing issues related to Frances Farmer.

Frances Farmer Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gone With The Wind

Its well known that any actress in Hollywood who had a name for herself auditiond for the role of Scarlett O'Hara. Im curious as to whether or not FF auditioned. Ive seen/read nothing that would lead me to believe she had. But auditions would have been in 1937/8 and FF was a leading lady at the time. If anyone knows get back to me. I think she would have been completely wrong in the part..but it would have been interesting to see.

Re: Gone With The Wind

FF never made a screen test, if that's what you're asking. I think she at least had some passing interest in the role, however, as there's a copy of the 1st edition of GWTW signed by her and Margaret Mitchell that has been making the rounds for years. The last person to offer it for sale wanted thousands, however, and I for one don't think it's worth that. By the time the real screentests were being done (which were, in fact, 1938-39--see the great Making of GWTW doc for details), FF was pretty much ensconced in NY and attempting to repeat her Broadway success in Golden Boy. She had little if any interest in film. In fact, she had renegotiated her Paramount contract to specifically allow her to spend 9 months a year doing theater.

Re: Re: Gone With The Wind

I forgot to mention something that we've discussed here before--if you do indeed watch The Making of GWTW, you'll see a brief shot of actresses who were being recommended for the role of Scarlett, and FF is indeed there on the list, with several recommendations.