Frances Farmer Forum

Please use this message board as a means of discussing issues related to Frances Farmer.

Frances Farmer Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What happened to her money??

Hi, this is my first post. Have been interested in FF since my teens (the 80's) and am kind of doing a re-examination. Reread "Shadowland" and almost through "Morning", in addition to some of the articles on this site. It never really hit me when I was younger, but if someone could help me out here with this question, I'd appreciate it.
How could she have been found to be completely without funds? At the time of the drunk driving arrest, she was still living in the nice place in Santa Monica, so the bills were getting paid somehow, and she was still working, too. Then 3-4 months later she's living in a hotel room and completely broke!! I don't get it. Hadn't she saved anything from her previous successful years? Was her biz manager stealing from her--that would be nothing new in show biz, I guess, but still. Was she out of control and squandering her money the way bi-polar people can do? Was word out that Farmer was "losing it" and therefore vulnerable to exploitation?
I used to buy in to Arnold's conspiracy theories--she was high-strung and persecuted--but boy, she really seemed to have been on a stressful spree in the end of '42. I think that courtroom experience shows she was almost out of control, but did she really hurl an inkwell at the judge? "Morning" says she did, but don't think I saw it in the original reporting.
Also, was the state hospital torn down--think I heard that.
This is a great website and appreciate the effort put into it. Sorry I went on so long. Take care, Rich.